View from the old Government Dock looking North

Welcome to Cockburn Island

Our beautiful island is located comfortably between Manitoulin Island to the east and Drummond Island to the west. Roughly 30 km south of the town of Thessalon.

View the full sized image
Aerial view of Cockburn Island

In 1881, with a growing constituency of homesteaders, fisheries workers, logging and saw mill workers, ‘Cockburn Island’ became a township. Early in the 1900’s, in its hay day, it boasted over 1000 residents. Four generations later it was considered a ghost town. (See Ghost Towns of Ontario).

When the islands remaining store shut down in the 1960’s and the ferry service stopped most of the remaining residents were leaving. The ‘Cockburn Island’ first nation residents left as well to a new reserve on Manitoulin Island. However, today they still have land and a spiritual centre on the western edge of Cockburn.

News & Advisories